City Centre

  1. 10.1. "Cafe´ Altes Theater" (A-The´)
  2. 10.2. Eduard Borchardt office building and department store
  3. 10.3. Hotel Goldener Beutel
  4. 10.4. Museum für Naturkunde und Vorgeschichte (Museum for Natural History and Prehistory)
  5. 10.5."SPUK" house

10.1. "Cafe´ Altes Theater" (A-The´) with theatre passage (destroyed in 1944)

The Cafe´ and concert garden of the "A-The" had international flair, was a meeting point for Bauhaus and theatre artists. In the background of the picture is the business area of the theatre passage, where the city advertising studio of the Junkers factory was also located. Photo from 1927.

"Cafe´Altes Theater" (A-The´) with theatre passage, Kavalierstraße, Dessau, 1926/27. Architect Erich Kurt Elster in cooperation with the Junkers steel construction. Interior design of the "Cafés A-The" carried out by the Bauhaus, and the passage with shops emerged in the style of the modern era. Junkers & Co. delivered and installed the thermotechnical equipment. The "Junkers city studio" - a studio for technical advertising and promotion of the Junkers factory - managed by artist Friedrich Peter Drömmer, was also located in the theatre passage from 1927-33.

10.2. Eduard Borchardt office building and department store (not executed)

Draft project for the office building of Eduard Borchardt, next to the "Alten Theater" in Kavalierstraße.

Eduard Borchardt office building and department store, Kavalierstraße at the Alten Theater, Dessau, 1931/32. Bauhaus member and architect: Eduard Ludwig. He received the Bauhaus diploma no. 72 on 15.06.1932 from the 3rd Bauhaus director Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. Dr.-Ing. Wilhelm Klingenberg, Chief Structural engineer at Junkers Stahlbau, calculated the steel skeleton construction of the project. The upcoming national socialism, anti-Semitism and the closure of Bauhaus in 1932 prevented the execution of this modern building process.

10.3. Hotel Goldener Beutel

The winter garden with the concert hall in the Hotel Goldener Beutel in Steinstraße, had a visible roof construction in the Junkers steel slat design, 1929.

Hotel Goldener Beutel, Steinstr. 3/4. 1926/28 Construction of the prestigious, modern hotel with large concert hall and winter garden. Flat arch hall in steel slat design. Construction design: Junkers steel construction. Total equipment with thermotechnology devices from calorimeter and Junkers & Co. On 7 March 1945, the city centre and also the well known hotel were completely destroyed by bombs.

10.4. Museum für Naturkunde und Vorgeschichte (Museum for Natural History and Prehistory)

Invitation to the opening of the Junkers exhibition on 03.02.1929, the 70th birthday of Prof. Hugo Junkers. The atrium of the natural history museum was also included in the exhibition, as a water colour painting by Max Lösel from 1929 documents.

Museum for Natural History and Prehistory, Askanische Str. 28a, founded in 1927. Originally set up as the Leopolddankstift 1746-50, then used as an art gallery. First podium for exhibitions of the Bauhaus. In 1927 , the inner courtyard was fitted with a slightly vaulted Junkers steel slat roof, the museum facilities were modernised and fitted with thermotechnology devices from the Junkers factory. The "Junkers exhibition" also took place here from 1929-1935, a didactically designed technology exhibition about the creative performances in research, development and product manufacture by the Junkers factory. In the hail of bombs on 7 March 1945, the museum was completely burned out. From 1948, the building was rebuilt, with subsequent use as a natural history museum.

10.5. "SPUK" house

"SPUK"-house, the "Sport and course house", formerly the building of the Dessau local health insurance fund on Wallstraße, direction Lilly-Herking-Platz, belongs to Gymnasium Philanthropinum. It is a modern building, according to the design of the Dessau architect Erich Kurt Elster, and was inaugurated on 21 December 1930. Building design of the steel construction carried out by Junkers steel construction.

In the original combination of communal facilities with residential buildings, the building complex "worked" in the literal sense, until the turn of the 21st Century. While the public and generally accessible communal area and the offices of the local health insurance fund were housed in the large ground floor, the flats were in the three upper floors, sometimes even with large roof terraces. Fitted with the latest Junkers thermotechnology, Junkers gas - hot water apparatus, and interior design with built in cupboards for bedroom and kitchen, custom manufacture by the Junkers furniture factory, the flats had a quality and high standard. For the large hall of the local health insurance fund, the Bauhaus master Joost Schmidt designed a "Bauhaus clock", with a timeless modern face, while the office furnishing with steel plate furniture (filing shelves, cupboards, hanging registry, archive storage) according to the Junkers patent no. 525 015 from 8 March 1928, no. 547 664 from 24 November 1929 and no. 556 970 from 29 October 1930 was carried out by the Junkers calorimeter.

Extensively reconstructed in 2007 and converted for training purposes, the building is a training location now.

© 2022 Junkers-Pfad Dessau. Alle Rechte vorbehalten

Imprint / Disclaimer / Privacy