Square in front of the Wörlitzer Train Station . The square in front of the former Wörlitzer Train Station, the Unruhstraße (street) with its multi-storey brick houses, an old restored production building - today the library building of the Federal Environment Agency (UBA) and the brick wall at the entrance to the former Schwarzen Weg (Black Path) built in Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) are reminders of the time as Dessau's emerging gas industry in the 19th century. A hundred years ago the Dessau Ballonplatz was located on the grounds of what is today the Federal Environment Agency (UBA) with its highly-modern building complex. "Lighter than air" was the motto of the day back then, and the Royal residence and capital city of Dessau took part in this happening. The numerous industrial companies could point to their innovative research work and very sought-after products.
Centralwerkstatt und Gaswerk der Deutschen Continental Gas-Gesellschaft Dessau (Central Works and gas works of the German Continental Gas Company Dessau) (DCGG, called Conti for short) in Unruhstraße and Wolfgangstraße. The cradle of the German and European gas technology since 1855. Company headquarters: "Versuchsstation für Gasmotoren von Oechelhaeuser und Junkers" (Test station for gas motors from Oechelhaeuser und Junkers) 1889, "Hugo Junkers Civil-Engineer" 1892.
Together with Wilhelm von Oechelhaeuser Junior, Hugo Junkers developed the famous opposed piston engine. In one cylinder, two drive pistons run reciprocally, an energy-saving and efficient principle in accordance with the patent specification 66 961, dated 8th July, 1892. The headquarters of the Federal Environment Agency (UBA), as well as SITEL GmbH, UCI Kinowelt (cinema) and a supermarket are now located on these historical grounds.
Junkerswerke Head Offices located at what was once Kaiserplatz 21, today Friedensplatz, Dessau. The switchboard for the Junker factories was located here from 1915 until 1933. Reichspräsident (President of the German Empire) Friedrich Ebert visited Professor Junkers here on the 6th of December 1922 and said the following:
"In the Junker factories we see shining image of the most modern technology and technical-scientific research work, an institute of highly qualified German work ... - a thinking factory!"
Tagungszentrum Gaswerk Dessau, a semi-round structure at the corner of Wolfgangstraße to the flyover and to the Wörlitzer train station. Following the purchase of the company Askania AG, formally the Centralwerkstatt of the DCGG, 1937 by Junkers & Co, the production area for the manufacture of technical household gas appliances was expanded. In order to better market the Junkers gas-appliances technology, a conference centre with a training show was created within the same year. A screw-retained steel skeleton, whose modern structural design was implemented by Junkers-Stahlbau (Steel Construction). The methods applied in the training video "Gas für Haushalt, Gewerbe und Industrie" (Gas for households, business and industry") could be traced back to what Professor Hugo Junkers intended, and showed that targeted research and its application can allow products to be created that went on the revolutionise household technology, and with that social and community standards. An air-raid in that part of the city where the train station was located on the 16th of January 1945 destroyed the Tagungszentrum. A furniture store was established in the ground floor (formerly the training show) that survived the bombing raid, and it remained in business up until 1959. Over the course of the redesigning of the street plan and the area in front of the train station, as well as the flyover - it was demolished in the spring of 1960. The building that houses the UCI Kinowelt cinema now stands on this spot.
© 2022 Junkers-Pfad Dessau. Alle Rechte vorbehaltenImprint / Disclaimer / Privacy