Dessau-Ziebigk

  1. 5.1. Knarrberg development
  2. 5.2. New "Dessau-Ziebigk" development
  3. 5.3. Dessau-Ziebigk School gymnasium and auditorium
  4. 5.4. Restaurant and Café "Zum Luftverkehr"

5.1. Knarrberg development

Knarrberg development under construction, Junkers-Luftbild-Zentrale 1927. A large oriel window flags the house of the photo master, Emil Theis, in Brunnenstrasse, 1928

Knarrberg development, Brunnenstrasse/Knarrberg/Windmühlenstrasse in the Ziebigk district, 1926-28, design by architect Leopold Fischer from the Anhaltischer Siedlerverband (Anhalt settlers' association). Equipped with thermotechnical appliances made by the Junkers factories; white-collar workers, specialised craftsmen and master foremen from the Junkers factories comprised the majority of the residents of this "Marocco development". The garden architect Leberecht Migge, who lived in Worpswede, was able to carry his point successfully and design the development gardens, an ecologically oriented gardening culture, his "green manifest". Intense horticultural use of the soil allowed the development residents to create their own supply of food - an existential safeguard which arose from the experience of living through an era of war and want.

Beginning in 1927-1930, "Konsumverein für Dessau und Umgebung e. G.m.b.H.", which was a leading establishment in Anhalt, wrote several architectural competitions for the construction of its retail facilities in Dessau, the capital of the Free State. As a result of this, a four-storey residential and commercial building based on a design by the director of the Bauhaus, Walter Gropius, was erected in 1928 in the centre of the Törten Bauhaus development. In the same time period, the architect Carl Fieger drafted a spaciously designed consumer department store for the Siedlung district which, however, was never realised.

In 1929, the co-op had a residential building complex built in Heidestrasse near the old water tower. There was a modern shopping mall on the ground floor. Baked goods, dairy products, meat products and sausage, etc. could be obtained there. The companies Junkers & Co and Junkers-Kaloriferwerk equipped the shops with state-of-the-art technology for hot water, heating and refrigeration. With all of this, the co-op provided a comprehensive retail facility with a high standard of quality and easy servicing. This complex shopping area served as a role model for Anhalt and Central Germany.

Under consideration of these aspects, the co-op building at the corner of Friedrichstrasse and what is Kornhausstrasse today was also erected by the architect Leopold Fischer from the Anhaltischer Siedlerverband in Dessau-Ziebigk in 1929. Furnishings with thermotechnical appliances and state-of-the-art gas-powered cooling technology were installed by the Junkers factories. On the top floor of the co-op building, there were flats that conformed to the Zeitgeist of the modern age. Gerhart Seger (1896-1967), General Secretary of the German Peace Society, chief editor of the "Volksblatt für Anhalt" (People's Gazette for Anhalt) in Dessau and a representative of the Social Democratic Party of Germany in the German Reichstag (the Imperial Parliament) for the Free State of Anhalt lived and worked there until 1933. Under these circumstances, this house developed into a place for the peace movement, tolerance and intercultural understanding. Arrested by the National Socialists in March of 1933 and incarcerated in the Oranienburg concentration camp near Berlin, Seger managed to flee to Czechoslovakia. In Karlovy Vary in 1934, he published his book "Oranienburg - The First Authentic Report of a Concentration Camp Refugee" with a preface by Heinrich Mann. This book by Gerhart Seger, which was translated into several languages, formed the literary template for the world-renowned novel "The Seventh Cross" by Anna Seghers.

5.2. New "Dessau Ziebigk" development (torn down in 2009)

The new Dessau-Ziebigk development, Flurstrasse and Karl-Lemnitz-Strasse in the Ziebigk district, built in 1930/31 by Mitteldeutsche Wohnungsbaugesellschaft m.b.H. A row housing development with 202 flats was constructed in an exposed location on two parallel streets between the Bauhaus master houses and the Knarrberg development only 15 minutes from the Dessau main train station on foot. Originally designed as structures with flat roofs, the conventional form of roof was decided upon in the end so that, in addition to the attic each flat had, it would also have an extra room at its disposal. The interior design of the flats, each with a floor-to-ceiling built-in kitchen and a Junkers water-saving bathtub based on patent no. 422 215 from 25 November 1924, in the bathroom, was completed by the "Dessauer Möbelfabrik AG" (Möfa), which belonged to one of the Junkers factories. Built in kitchens and pantries were designed by the Bauhaus architect Heinrich-Siegfried Bormann.

Gas cookers were provided by both the Junkers factories and the Askania factories. A very popular and family-friendly residential development with shopping facilities and playgrounds for the children - the entire design was in the hands of the Dessau architect Edith Dinkelmann. The row of houses in Flurstrasse was torn down in 2009 in the course of renovating the street.

5.3. Dessau-Ziebigk School gymnasium and auditorium

The auditorium and gymnasium of the Ziebigker primary school had a modern Junkers steel lamella roof installed in 1930.

Dessau-Ziebigk School gymnasium and auditorium, dedicated in 1930. The athletic equipment which could be lowered into the floor and the horizontal bars represented a high technical standard. Also the facilities with their highly modern design and with Junkers steel lamella roof construction, Junkers patent no. 499 978 from 22/05/1930. A location that could also be used as a festival hall and a cabaret. Junkers-Stahlbau, Junkers Kaloriferbau and Junkers & Co designed the facility to be one of the best functional buildings in Dessau of the modern age. Partially destroyed by bombs on 7 March 1945. Reconstructed in 1946/47 but with wood-wool building boards in the roof for additional insulation.

5.4. Restaurant and Café "Zum Luftverkehr" (destroyed in 1945)

Restaurant and Café "Zum Luftverkehr" with hotel for Junkers aviation passengers built at the corner of Kornhausstrasse and Rheinstrasse, 1921. The hotel kitchen, furnished by Junkers & Co and the Kaloriferwerk, had modern household technology such as a gas cooker appliance with a heat regulator, retained-heat cookers and refrigeration units developed by Professor Hugo Junkers in a practical long-term test.

In the years between 1919 and 1933 in the district of Ziebigk, which became incorporated by the city of Dessau in 1923, several Junkers companies acting as self-sufficient divisions could be found between Rheinstrasse and Am Georgengarten in what is now Kornhausstrasse.

These included:

© 2022 Junkers-Pfad Dessau. Alle Rechte vorbehalten

Imprint / Disclaimer / Privacy