Kornhaus

  1. 6.1. The "Kornhaus" at the Elbe river
  2. 6.2. Kornhaus swimming facilities on the Elbe river
  3. 6.3. Junkers marine aerodrome, a light column project
  4. 6.4. Boathouse of the Junkers Paddelgemeinschaft e.V.

6.1. The "Kornhaus" at the Elbe river

The "Kornhaus" at the Elbe river. The modern-day "Kornhaus" restaurant, located in the district of Ziebigk in the north west area of Dessau, was erected according to a design by the Bauhaus architect Carl Fieger in 1929/30. The companies Junkers Kaloriferwerk and Junkers & Co. equipped the building with thermotechnical appliances as well as ventilation systems. A structure was realised which embodied the Zeitgeist of 20th century modernity in a visual form and which blended into the natural Elbe valley landscape harmoniously.

The modern public house complex opens on 6 June 1930. In his celebratory speech, Mayor Fritz Hesse emphasised that Dessau was now the city on the Elbe and Mulde rivers. The historical Georgengarten, the redesign of the Beckerbruch as a the future Volkspark, the exemplarily constructed Knarrberg development, the large bathing beach on the Elbe river, the boatyard at Leopoldhafen and, last but not least, the Junkers marine aerodrome dear the Kornhaus reflected the socio-cultural and economic boom Dessau experienced as the capital of the Free State of Anhalt in a politically troubled era. It is important to set trends, he said at the end, and Dessau will continue to do so in the future as well.

It was not only that the numerous guests at this dedication ceremony had the opportunity to marvel at the modern architecture in its functionality and artistic construction, rather they experienced another spectacular highlight. Junkers factory pilots flew over the Kornhaus to the nearby Junkers marine aerodrome in a two-seater Junkers aircraft A 50 "Junior", took off from the Elbe river and finished off the Dessau-Leipzig test circuit with an aviation program the result of which was five new world records being set. Thus came technical modernity and artistic modernity together again here in the enthralling Elbe landscape.

6.2. Kornhaus swimming facilities on the Elbe river (closed in 1954)

Bathing fun at the Kornhaus. The Junkers steel house stood safe from flooding on a steel concrete platform supported by posts. Joost Schmidt, director of the Bauhaus-Reklamewerkstatt, designed a memorable promotional card for the Kornhaus in 1930.

Kornhaus swimming facilities on the Elbe river, built in six weeks in May/June of 1929. In the point of land surrounded by the bend in the Elbe river, right across from the "Kornhaus" restaurant, the Robert Richter company constructed the swimming facilities with the pertinent buildings. A steel stone ceiling resting on and spanned between steel concrete posts formed a large rectangular base plate which was protected from flooding and sealed with a special concrete coating. This was supported by a double-walled house made of corrugated tin and insulated with glass fibre fabric, in accordance with Junkers patent no. 525 015 from 08/03/1928, with a residential area for the life guard and adjacent food service and sanitary facilities. The roof covering was made of adhered asphalt plates from the Dessau company Wilhelm Kohlmann. The changing rooms temporary changing rooms could be found in the cellar. After the great summer floods of 1954, the swimming facilities were closed and the metal building was torn down. The remaining base plate can still be seen on the shore of the Elbe river today.

6.3. Junkers marine aerodrome, a project for a column of light (not realised)

A Junkers A 50w "Junior" landed on the Elbe river at the Kornhaus, 1930. The planned column of light at Leopoldhafen was intended to ensure the safety of the Junkers freight air traffic as night as well.

Junkers marine aerodrome in Leopoldhafen on the Elbe river, from 1918-1945. The harbour facility of the city of Dessau has been situated across from the point surrounded by the bend in the Elbe river since 1845 - separated only by a peninsula in the river. The harbour served as a trading centre for building materials, coal and grain as well as for a winter harbour for inland water transport. In addition to a boatyard, the Leopoldhafen also obtained the additional interesting function as the Junkers marine aerodrome in the 1920s. The Junkers aircraft factory ran a restoration and maintenance plant for their seaplanes. In 1918, the first two-seater seaplane, the Junkers J 11, was tested under practical circumstances before it was used as a seaplane.

It was from these flight tests at the bend in the Elbe at Leopoldhafen that a completely new type of production area for manufacturing aerodynamically formed buoys for seaplanes were developed in cooperation with the Sachsenberg brothers' boatyard in Roßlau. This allowed the site development of suitable expanses of water for use in aviation. Thus the "Blaue Linie" (German for "blue line"), Europe's first marine airline, was founded at the Elbe river allowing regular flights between Dresden - Johannstadt - Dessau - Magdeburg - Hamburg-Altona and back as of August of 1925. The almost 450 km could be flown by the Junkers F 13w in around 4 hours with layover. In the summer season of 1925 alone, 134 passenger flights were registered.

In the subsequent period, the bend in the Elbe river near the Kornhaus also continued to be an internationally noteworthy location when Professor Hugo Junkers conducted rocket launch tests with heavily laden seaplanes.

Column of light project, glass-coated observation tower made of steel profiles on top of a steel concrete house located in the Ziebigk district by the Elbe river at Dessau's Leopoldhafen. With this design from1930, which was developed at the suggestion of Professor Hugo Junkers and in conjunction with the Junkers construction firm and the architectural department of the Bauhaus under the direction of Ludwig Hilberseimer, the Czech Bauhaus student Václav Zralý received his Bauhaus diploma no. 46 on 9 June 1931.

The Junkers marine aerodrome was intended to prove its efficiency with the night flying transport traffic in particular. A 39-metre high column of light, which did have the shape of an observation tower but which was meant to generate bright shining light, would have been able to light up the landing strip at the Kornhaus on the Elbe river to make it appear as a "radiating river". An interesting building project which was never realised as a consequence of the global economic crisis and the political shifts in Germany at that time.

6.4. Boathouse of the Junkers Paddelgemeinschaft e.V.

The Junkers-Paddelgemeinschaft e.V boathouse at Leopoldhafen on the Elbe river in the district of Ziebigk. Under the guidance of a technician as well as with three Junkers apprentices from the Kaloriferwerk, an aesthetic and timeless functional building was erected in May of 1930 in just 14 days - a building based on a design by Ottokar Paulssen, an engineer in the Junkers construction company. This Junkers steel lamella construction remained above flood levels on several concrete posts and blended beautifully into the landscape with a vaulted wood-panelled pointed gable facing the Elbe river.

The Junkers-Paddelgemeinschaft boathouse has its most attractive facade facing the Elbe river.

© 2022 Junkers-Pfad Dessau. Alle Rechte vorbehalten

Imprint / Disclaimer / Privacy