Church of the Resurrection, corner of Fischereiweg and Ziebigker Strasse in the Siedlung district. The architect Helmuth Conradi, who originated from Wuppertal, won the competition for a "parish hall, parsonage and church" in 1928. The cornerstone ceremony took place in August of 1929. The parish hall was dedicated in February of 1930 along with the altar (church). Professor Hugo Junkers' construction firm also compiled an interesting design for a church made of polished steel and coloured glass in 1933, but it was not realised.
The church's thermotechnical systems were completed by the Junkers factories. The interior design with chairs and collapsible tables had a modern air and sliding dividing walls meant the interior could be customised for various purposes. The initial artistic design was the work of the Dessau sculptor Richard Kieser. (Baptismal font and altar area). A special feature is the round door fitting on the door to the room used for church services. This is a door latch which was install in type Ju 52 Junkers aeroplanes.
The aircraft designer, Ernst Zindel , along with his family, additional Junkers employees and even Bauhaus architects resided in the development and were members of the Congregation of the Resurrection.
"Hohe Lache" development, 1919-1926. The first delve of the spade in the district now known as Siedlung took place on 27/06/1919 and was made by the "Gemeinnützige Siedlungsgesellschaft für Dessau, Stadt und Land mbH" (Non-Profit Development Association for Dessau, Municipality and State mbH). The nominal capital required was provided by the city, the Free State of Anhalt and Dessau industries. The Junkers factories, which furnished the majority of the houses in the development with heat appliances and kitchen furniture, played an especially important role here.
Development buildings were erected between 1919 and 1926 at the "Achteck" in "Hohe Lache", at "Waldweg", "Winkel" and "Waldkater", on "Lindenplatz", in "Hasenwinkel", in the "Fichtenbreite" and at the "Kienheide".
Overall planning was tasked to government-approved master builder Theodor Overhoff and the architect Edith Dinkelmann, who commissioned a series of renowned architects in order to draft various types of houses for Siedlung. A development oriented toward the requirements of the residents emerged whose urban and social concept is still influential today.
The Bauhaus plans for Junkers (1930/32), Hugo Junkers commissions the Bauhaus in Dessau to design a workers' housing development for the Junkers factories. A thorough location analysis proceeded this project. Under the direction of the Bauhaus director, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, and the urban developer Ludwig Hilberseimer, the architectural department of the Bauhaus developed a large Junkers development in the modern style for 20,000 inhabitants between Kienfichten and the districts of Grosskühnau and Kleinkühnau and the development. The selection of the location appeared to be extremely favourable thanks to its immediate vicinity to the Junkers factories and to the air field as well as to the transportational infrastructure and utilities infrastructure already available between this area and the bordering districts.
This modern Bauhaus development project for Hugo Junkers set new trends in the construction of residences as regards sociology, economy and ecology. However, as a consequence of the political changes occurring at that time, the planned development never came to fruition.
© 2016 Junkers-Pfad Dessau. Alle Rechte vorbehaltenImpressum