Bauhaus development (location Moses-Mendelssohn-Gesellschaft, Mittelring 38 ), district Dessau south and Törten. According to designs by the Bauhaus director Walter Gropius, project managed by his architectural office, the Bauhaus development was built parallel to Damaschkestraße from 1925-28. On behalf of the city of Dessau, funded by the "Reichsforschungsgesellschaft für Wirtschaftlichkeit im Bau- und Wohnungswesen", 316 single family terraced houses were built according to a rationalised type construction, in three building phases. Marcel Breuer completed samples for the interior design, in the Bauhaus carpentry workshop. The lighting supports came from the Bauhaus metalwork workshop, manager Marianne Brandt. Thermotechnology devices for kitchen and heating were provided by the Dessau Junkers and Askania factories. The installation of devices such as the gas heater according to Junkers patent no. 363 731 from 2 June 1920, and the downwards tapering Junkers storage bath patent no. 422 215 from 25. November 1924, symbolised technical progress in the modern household. In contrast, the concrete bathing troughs favoured by Bauhaus, did not find the hoped for response amongst the inhabitants.
Walter Gropius' goal of industrialisation and rationalisation in modern housing construction, could be achieved to a large extent with this development concept. The terraced houses are the expression of a successful experiment, and still stand today, but with different window shapes for the most part.
In the residential building Mittelring 38, the Moses-Mendelssohn-Gesellschaft Dessau e.V. was established, which was founded on 10 June 1993. It is dedicated to the regional German - Jewish history in Anhalt. The life's work of the most famous Dessau jew and philosopher Moses Mendelssohn (1729-1786) and the dialogue between religions and cultures is the focus of the society's work. Bernd Junkers, grandson of Prof. Hugo Junkers, is also involved in the society. Hugo Junkers himself, was a member of the board of trustees of the Moses-Mendelssohn foundation in 1929, which included renowned personalities from politics, economics and humanities in the Weimar Republic.
The former cooperative building Dessau, Am Dreieck, district south. According to the requirements of the cooperative for Dessau and surrounding area, the architect and Bauhaus founder Walter Gropius designed a four storey cooperative building for the centre of the semi-circular Bauhaus development, in his private architect's studio in 1927, which was connected to shopping facilities with a large low-rise building. The construction was carried out in 1928 by regional construction companies. Built-in furniture for the offices and kitchens of the three flats, was produced by the Bauhaus carpentry workshop. Marcel Breuer designed a sales counter that stretched across three shop departments, a special feature, which was built in the "Dessauer Möbelfabrik AG" (Möfa) due to its dimensions. Hugo Junkers acquired the company in 1928 for his model manufacturing. Now the Möfa also built for Bauhaus. Junkers & Co. and Junkers calorimeter furnished the kitchens, bathrooms, central utility rooms and the cold store of the cooperative building with modern technology, which worked for over 60 years.
© 2022 Junkers-Pfad Dessau. Alle Rechte vorbehaltenImprint / Disclaimer / Privacy